9.16.2013

be my victim - a victim of scary movies aka how i spent my weekend



Creepy, right?

So this weekend I did what any normal girl would do. I sat myself in front of my laptop and watched countless horror movies, some of which I've seen and some of which embarrassingly I haven't. It was an emotional event for me being that I often pride myself on being a lover of that genre of cinema but I came to the realization that I haven't seen a lot of movies that some would consider "classics". I hadn't seen Poltergeist or The Amityville Horror. Upon reading some lists about some of the best of the horror variety I was told I should watch The Strangers. I also gave my old childhood terror Candyman another shot, though it was daytime because there was absolutely no way I was watching that at night. I watched a few minutes of Cujo as well but decided early that there is no way I will put myself through sad dog movies, even for the sake of this blog post.

As for Amityville I would say of all I watched this weekend it was probably the best. The acting was fairly good and for a movie made in the 70's the cheese was definitely minimal (with the exception of that glowing-eyed pig thing that they never really did explain). It left me feeling the most uneasy which is a very good thing. There was a lot of really awesome bell bottoms and middle hair parts which I will not complain about either. And Josh Brolin sure can rock a beard.

I had much higher hopes for Poltergeist. Honestly, I was disappointed. I love me some Craig T. Nelson but this movie was the epitome of cheese and not in a good way. The little girl was really adorable though. Maybe I didn't pay attention enough honestly losing interest about halfway through, so it is possible I should give it another shot, but it will probably take some convincing and also, a shot. Of something strong.

The Strangers wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. Imagine a fictional world where Ben from Felicity and Cory from Empire Records meet, probably during Ben's summer vacation in Boston (it just seems like he would go there) and get engaged and hang out at his summer house only to be attacked by random, ahem, "strangers" that just picked them to prey on "...because you were home." Tell me where that makes sense? It did have quite a few jumpy moments but not enough to call it good. It was just...done. And I like awful scary movies but this would not be one of my favorites.

I watched Candyman during the day, and that in and of itself is a feat, I must say. That movie scared (scares?) the holy mother of lordys out of me, I kid you not. As an adult (and by the light of day) I have come to appreciate the fact that it's actually a really well-made movie. The plot is hardly cheesy which you wouldn't expect considering it's about a dude with a hook for a hand that appears when you call out his name five times and turn out the light. This was the only urban legend I believed in as a kid and you will never get me in front of a mirror repeating his name, I don't care how grown up I claim to be, it's not happening ever in this lifetime thankyouverymuch. That being sad, I survived and would like to give it a try at night time with several of my friends around me to be sure he doesn't come and gut me.

Now The Shining! THERE'S a movie.

And Cujo? Don't get me started. I remember it devastating me as a child and it devastates me now. Seriously a rabid dog? I have too much of a soft spot for animals, even the sick, infested ones, I watched about 10 minutes and realized that I will never watch that movie again.

I have a feeling in the upcoming weeks leading to Halloween (ONLY THE BEST HOLIDAY EVER) I will indulge in some Blair Witch Project, multiple viewings of The Shining and maybe Psycho because it's been an obscenely long time since I have seen it. Recommendations are always good as well considering I tend to just re*watch movies that I've seen a bunch of times, hence me really only paying attention to a few of these. Hey, I tried.

Last year I wrote a post basically about this same thing but it was more about movies I've seen. Like effing Candyman. Take a look, won't you? And the year before that, there was this gem.

I like scary things a lot, you guys. Even the ones that are lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...